Monday, November 9, 2009

Busy Busy Time

Well, I know it's been awhile since I've updated. I have to admit, Congress took a bit of wind out of my sails. However, I have recuperated physically and mentally, and am ready to tackle the busy Florida winter circuit! Chance and I have been busting our butts to get into shape. I'd say we're about 50% there, hopefully that is good enough for the show this weekend LOL. I will admit, Chance is progressing quicker than I as far as getting back into shape! Chance has had an easy year of it, but he deserved it after his relatively busy yearling and two year old year. He was away all breeding season and didn't get back into things until summer, and at that point I was gone half the summer showing Tator, and then Congress. Chance thought he had it easy from now on, like he had been retired to stud or something! NOT, LOL.

It is tougher getting these big, growthy young horses into shape than their smaller, chunkier, more compact western counterparts. We have been working extensively on collecting, bending, suppling, and engaging from behind. We totally ignored the headseat for awhile in favor of getting his body back into shape and carrying himself properly. We also started over low jumps, which he LOVES. This has given him something to do other than circles and keeps his mind fresh. He approaches the jumps with his ears forward and is just a natural. It has been an amazing help with strengthening his body, rounding his back, and teaching him how to collect, speed up, slow down, and lengthen his stride with ease. We're now at the point where he is moving beautifully and we are starting to tack that headset back on. It's a slow process, much slower than with the western horses, but here's hoping that the end result will be a beautiful, supple, consistent horse!

Also, I started Chance in pleasure driving. He has NEVER even been ground driven and the very first day we were ground driving around the property, collecting to jog and extending the trot! It was a workout for me too, Chance was probably thinking how do YOU like trotting around in circles! I fired back that pretty soon he is going to be hauling my butt around in a cart... pretty much requires as little physical effort possible! ;-)

First show of the winter, New Symrna next weekend. I am VERY excited to report that as well as Chance, I will be taking Mocha to this show and we will be returning as a team for the first time since September! :-) I missed riding and showing him SOO much. We're going to try to finish out that ROM and qualifying by breeding season, so that he can enjoy the spring without any showing worries (what a life!). Western day for Mocha is Saturday, english day for Chance is Sunday. The goal is to show Chance although I won't push it if he's not quite ready. He's progressing nicely though, and we will certainly be showing within the month. Honestly, it's more fitting my out of shape butt in breeches and an english saddle that is the problem! We have to finish out that ROM by breeding season though, and hopefully get qualified in the HUS and pleasure driving, so we will definitely be showing over the winter.

We have a show EVERY weekend for a month, then a couple weeks off for Christmas, then off to weeks long Gold/Gulf Coasts and the Venice winter circuit! It's busy busy time for sure, but the boys will enjoy a long spring off with just grass and mares. Ahh, springtime, it's just on the horizon... okay, I know winter hasn't even started yet, but still! I'm already envisioning all those Chance babies running around my pastures!

Stay tuned for show updates,
~Amy

No comments: